Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Peeking Out of My Writing Cave...

By West Thornhill (Guest Blogger)


I never know what to talk about when writing a post for someone else’s blog. Heck, I have a hard time figuring out what to do on my own blog.

I wrote a long blog about two series I write, but I wasn’t happy with it. So, I scrapped it and started over. Hopefully, this one will be a little more interesting than me blathering on.

I have always created stories in my head and attempted to transfer them to paper. Wasn’t always successful and never finished them. Why? Mostly because I didn’t have the support I have now. The people important to me scoffed at the idea of me writing. But I kept doing it.

It wasn’t until I went back to college as a non-traditional student that I was able to give my creativity free reign. It was also when I met the friend who inspired me to keep at it until I finished something. We started our own little twosome writing group. We would send each other chapters and critique them. Most of the time her work was so far beyond mine I was embarrassed to send it to her.

Three years ago, I started an online writing group with three friends I had made online. We shared what we were working on and critiqued each other’s work. It was fun. We also did some prompt writing to help us break out of our comfort zones.

In 2011, I signed the contract for my first novel. I was surprised someone actually wanted to publish it. I was also surprised that people actually wanted to read it. That fall was also when The Ravens Crossing was created. I had reconnected with two of my college sisters and we decided to collaborate on an LGBT YA sci-fi/fantasy online series.


Beginning in February 2012, The Ravens Crossing debuted. In a year and a half, we wrote three seasons and almost one million words. We even survived a derecho. Lol. There are three ebooks available at Smashwords, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble.

Last week, we kicked off season four with Halloween. One major difference between the upcoming seasons and the first three is that the stories won’t be as entwined. Seasons one, two, and three were about the Thirteen and a prophecy. Season four introduces our next generation of Gaeas and, while they will crossover, the storylines are all independent.


Also at the end of last year, I gave myself a challenge – write a polyamorous M/M story. Out of that personal challenge, I created Delectable Vines. And, no, I didn’t come up with series title. One of my blog followers did that. (Thank you, Judi) When I started writing, I didn’t have a firm idea other than I didn’t want it to be an insta-love story. There’s nothing wrong with them, especially in the paranormal world. It was just part of the challenge.

Apple Mead will be my first book with Totally Bound. Pre-release date is November 8th, and I am so behind in promo. But that’s life when you’re trying to write the next five books in a series as well as a few other projects I’m involved with, TRC being a big one. Luckily, book two of Delectable Vines is written, submitted, and scheduled for an early 2014 release. Book two is Apple Wine.

In Apple Mead, I introduce Xeno and the five Fae guardians he becomes involved with. Apple Wine continues the story, but focuses mainly on Xeno and Niko. The next four books will also focus primarily on Xeno’s relationship with each of the other Fae. I wanted to create a world where they grow together as a unit as well as personally and as couples. And I can tell you choreographing a sex scene with six men is wild. I have really enjoyed writing this series. It has made me approach things differently.

So, if you’re interested in learning more about The Ravens Crossing, Delectable Vines, or me, here are the links:




Oh, I also have a free story available at Totally Bound – https://www.totallybound.com/little-red-riding-incubus. And I have an ongoing blog story called Voices Carry. Soon (fingers crossed), I will be re-releasing a short story I wrote called Grease Paint.


Now, I have to thank Lisabet for having me. Hopefully, this wasn’t too rambling of a post. I am going back to my NaNoWriMo cave. I have a huge goal to meet. 

By the way - if you'd like to win an ebook copy of Raven's Crossing, Book 1, just leave a comment with your email!


Apple Mead Blurb


After a nasty break-up, Xeno decides to try something new. He’s not completely ready for what happens next.

For one night Xeno wants to be the center of someone’s attention. He doesn’t bargain on becoming the most important member of the Fae guardians.

Xeno’s life suddenly changes when he takes another chance with the five men he met on Beltaine. Seeing them again awakens not only Xeno’s deep-seated desires but also a connection the Fae need.

What happens when Xeno agrees to move in? How will that impact the rest of his life? Xeno is about to find out the answers to those questions and a whole lot more. Is he ready to find out the truth and embrace his life as a member of the Fae? Only Xeno can answer those questions. Should be an interesting journey.

Excerpt


His cell rang. Before he could say anything, the voice on the other end blurted out, “Rex, I found him.”

“Found who?” He was going to stay calm.

“Him. The guy from the masque.”

Damn. He didn’t want to believe it. “How do you know it’s him, Ace? His face was covered by a mask. All we saw was his body.”

“I know. But remember he did have two distinguishing marks. The tattoos—one on the inside of his left wrist and one on his hip. Now, if I could see him without his pants, I could be positive. How many guys have an intricate knotwork triquetra on their wrist and a Celtic cross on their hip?”

Rex knew Ace was right. They had seen other guys who matched him in build and hair colour. What had told them that those guys weren’t him were the missing tattoos. “Where did you see him?”

“He works at the book store.”

“He works for Renaissance?” Rex groaned.

“Apparently. He was wearing a purple apron with Ren’s harlequin design on it and one of those nifty name tags that read Xeno.”

“Wait a minute. His name is Xeno?” No way. Could it really be possible?

“Yeah. Is that a problem?”

Rex sighed. “He’s Ren’s baby brother.”

“Well, shit. That complicates things.”

Rex stared out of the large window in his office that overlooked the vast expanse of grape vines. The mid-afternoon sun was beaming down, gracing the vines with warmth. Strands of long dark hair were caught and danced in the slight breeze, pulling Rex’s attention away from the vines and to the sexy body of his lover, Niko. He watched as Niko walked down the row, inspecting each plant and talking with Manuel and Gianna, his assistants. Even watching Niko bend, sniff and inspect the vines couldn’t distract Rex from his conversation with Ace.

He sighed. How was it possible the guy, the one who fitted with all of them, was the brother of one of his business associates? Rex remembered the day he’d first met Renaissance Anders. She had just bought the buildings she was going to turn into a coffee shop and used bookstore. He and the guys had still been remodelling a storefront across the cobblestoned street. The revitalisation of the Main Street area was in high gear and more local businesses were moving in.

Renaissance had been standing out in front of her building, hands on hips and grinning when he walked up. Introductions had been swift, but they had become fast friends and a formidable pair. Over the three years since, they had slowly taken control of the business association and had made significant strides in improving the area. More businesses had moved in. A broken-down Episcopal Church had been given new life by its congregation as well as the people who were making their homes above the shops.

Above the bookstore, Maggie Anders had set up her office as a social worker and psychologist. With the help of the Church and other businesses, Maggie had created an LGBTQ shelter and community centre. Life was changing fast in the small community located near Charlottesville. And Rex couldn’t be happier except for one little thing. Or one huge thing, depending on how you looked at it.

He sighed. They needed Xeno. Needed what he represented to them. Xeno was the glue that would keep them all together. Being Fae and protectors of the Tuatha de Danann treasure was difficult. They never knew who would show up next trying to steal it. Xeno would be the one to calm them after a battle and keep them strong and balanced.

Rex knew this was going to be complicated, mostly because no one knew what they were. He just hoped Ren and Xeno being from an unconventional family would at least keep them both from freaking out about Xeno being involved with the five owners of Delectable Vines and Delectable Brews.

A sharp rap on his office door dragged him out of his thoughts. He looked up and smiled when Niko opened it. The lock snicked when Niko closed it after sauntering through the doorway. His sun-bronzed skin was barely covered by the white tank top and denim cut-offs.

“Now, I put on quite the show for you, and was disappointed not to get my usual text.” Niko pouted as he ambled closer to Rex’s desk, a slight, suggestive sway in his hips.
  

About West



In 2003, West returned to college. Three years later she graduated. She earned a degree in Classics with a minor in British and American Literature from Randolph-Macon Woman's College. Five years after graduating, she finished, submitted, and had published her first gay paranormal romance novel.

An avid reader, West discovered an admiration for Ovid and Hesiod. She also thinks Latin and Greek are awesomely fun. Yes, she is a geek, but not limited to the Classics, she loves manga and anime. Some of her favorites include Bleach, Vampire Knight, and Junjo Romantica. Eventually, she wants to learn to read and speak Japanese so she can read/watch all of these in their original forms.

West is a single mom. Her son, Spawn, is the light of her life. Diagnosed with Autism at the age of six, he's on the higher end of the spectrum, and becoming quite the smart-mouthed teenager. Raising a child with special needs has taught West a lot about how to see people and the world in general.



 

2 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hello, West,

Welcome to Beyond Romance, and huge congratulations on your new release! Your story is inspiring.

West Thornhill said...

Thanks, Lisabet.

Hope everyone enjoys reading about what I'm up to and finding out more about Delectable Vines and The Ravens Crossing.

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)