Monday, November 4, 2013

You Get What You Need

I got an email from my sister today. She just returned from a trip overseas, ten days intensive training for a new job she was expecting to take. Then when she returned home, she was told that they didn't want her after all - that she wasn't right for their organization. (She has no idea why, unless it's because she's honest and outspoken.)

She's trying to stay positive, and jokes about having received an all-expenses-paid trip to Europe (which she did enjoy, despite the hard work), but I can tell she's a bit depressed, and worried about money. As for me, I see it as the hand of Good working in her life. She hesitated for a long time before agreeing to take this position. The only reason she agreed was financial. It was going to be high-stress and from a personal perspective, low rewards - work that didn't really allow her to use her creativity and her unique talents.

I'd urged her to refuse, telling her to have faith - that the right job would come. One thing I've learned in life is that you can't be happy if you hate your work. At the moment, I feel sympathy for her sense of insecurity (and of course nobody likes to be rejected), but personally I'm grateful. I think she would have been wasting herself on that job, and ultimately, it would have taken its toll on her spirit.

I do believe we get what we need. Even the tragic or unpleasant parts of life turn out to have benefits in the long term. I remember, for instance, a period of 18 months unemployment, two recessions ago. I was terrified that we'd lose our house, but we managed (somehow). And that was the impetus that pushed us to move to our current location, where I'm extremely happy.

You just never know. So you have to trust.

Meanwhile, I've got Sis in my thoughts and prayers. I'm looking forward to hearing her good news.

1 comment:

Author H K Carlton said...

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.
Blessings to you and yours Lisabet.

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)